- Digital Communications Analyst (P-2)
- Bonn, Germany
- UTC +1
- CLOSING DATE:
United Nations University (UNU)
UNU is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU’s work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals’ full breadth, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
The United Nations University Vice-Rectorate in Europe (UNU-ViE):
UNU-ViE, established in 2007, is one of two Vice-Rectorates and the only one located outside Japan. UNU-ViE seeks to strengthen the presence of UNU in Europe and supports the worldwide institutional development of UNU by facilitating collaboration across UNU and the UN, and sharing knowledge and expertise through the development of joint activities and projects. In addition to its core mandate, it administers the central units providing service to both UNU-ViE and UNU-EHS. For more information, please visit: http://vie.unu.edu/
Under the authority of the Vice-Rector in Europe and the direct supervision of the Head of Communications Unit, the Digital Communications Analyst will be responsible for:
Support strategic communications focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Engage in the planning and implementation of communication activities for UNU academic programmes and projects to increase visibility and engage UNU target audiences;
- Develop and implement project-specific communication plans, including identification of target audiences and related effective dissemination techniques as well as translation of technical content for the general audience;
- Support the drafting, editing and effective distribution of a large variety of communication materials;
- Coordinate the production of UNU publications, including timeline, budget and sourcing of external vendors. Ensure consistent application of UN style guide for all products;
- Respond to communication requests by internal and external stakeholders in a substantial and deadline-driven manner;
- Coordinate monitoring and evaluation of communication activities and support institutional reporting; and
- Supports administrative and human resources processes for the communication unit.
Build and manage websites focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide advice on the organization’s website developments, including liaising with internal and external stakeholders and researching industry standards, best practices and benchmarks;
- Conceptualize, research and advise on the latest trends in new technology industry standards, best practices and benchmarks based on expertise and available business intelligence for web-based tools and applications, including websites, micro-sites, interactive publication platforms and databases;
- Track research and analyse website traffic and make related improvements to SEO, site architecture and user experience;
- Prepare relevant and up-to-date content for the organization’s websites;
- Manage web-based databases, such as publication and multimedia repository and expert database; and
- Utilize web-based mass mailing systems for distribution of communication products.
Coordinate social media outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support the development and execution of creative campaign ideas to increase visibility for UNU;
- Co-develop social media content in line with organizational priorities and key calendar moments;
- Coordinate the production of key visuals in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, including vendors;
- Monitor and evaluate UNU-EHS social media engagement and visibility through utilizing social media management and evaluation tools; and
- Support the development and production of videos, including concept preparation, script, budget and timeline.
Support global communication campaigns focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contribute substantially to the development and implementation of global multi-channel communication campaigns;
- Lead the development of specific key campaign elements, e.g. multimedia content, in close coordination with internal and external stakeholders and other members of the communication team;
- Identify key contacts and constituencies and opportunities for strategic partnerships to facilitate communication efforts and maintains working relationships with the same. In particular, establish working level contacts with other UN agencies, external partners and the media; and
- Ensure application of consistent messaging in all campaign products, application of UN style guide and technological compatibility with a variety of channels.
Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor
Key Performance Indicators
- Strategic communication activities are co-developed and implemented.
- Websites are built and maintained in line with industry standard.
- Engaging social media content is produced and distributed.
- Contributions to global communication campaigns are made, with a special focus on multimedia elements.
- Inclusion – Take action to create an environment of dignity and respect for all, regardless of age, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, geography, grade, language, nationality, racial identity, religion, sex, sex characteristics, sexual orientation, social origin or any other aspect of identity.
- Integrity – Act ethically, demonstrating the standards of conduct of the United Nations and taking prompt action in case of witnessing unprofessional or unethical behaviour, or any other breach of UN standards.
- Humility – Demonstrate self-awareness and willingness to learn from others.
- Humanity – Act according to the purposes of the United Nations: peace, dignity and equality on a healthy planet.
- Connect and Collaborate – Build positive relationships with others to advance the work of the United Nations and work coherently as One UN
- Analyse and Plan – Seek out and use data from a wide range of sources to understand problems, inform decision-making, propose evidence-based solutions and plan action
- Deliver Results with Positive Impact – Hold oneself and others accountable for delivering results and making a positive difference to the people and causes that the United Nations serves
- Learn and Develop – Pursue own learning and development and contribute to the learning and development of others
- Adapt and Innovate – Demonstrate flexibility, agility and the ability to think and act in novel ways
Education and certification
- Master’s degree or equivalent in communication, journalism, public relations, mass media or related fields.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible experience in journalism, strategic communication, corporate communications or public relations, some of which is preferably in an international setting.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting the development and implementation of global multimedia communication campaigns required.
- Demonstrated experience in managing website through CMS systems, such as WordPress, Drupal, Craft, Joomla, custom-built CMS required.
- Basic UI/UX experience considered an asset.
- Experience in creating engaging social media content required.
- Experience in using professional social media management and evaluation tools such as Hootsuit, Falcon or Buffer is required.
- Experience in the development and implementation of short videos and multimedia assets required.
- Experience in working with Photoshop, Premiere Pro and AfterEffects is required.
- Knowledge of the UN system is an advantage; previous experience of working in international development organizations focused on sustainable development would be an asset.
- Excellent team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills, as well as an ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Strong ability to establish priorities, multi-task and work within tight timelines.
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS required, knowledge of PHP desired.
- Experience in using mass mailing systems, such as PHPList or Mailchimp is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with the consistent application of the UN style guide is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required, including excellent writing and editing skills.
- Knowledge of another UN official working language is an asset.
UNU offers an attractive, tax exempt compensation package including an annual net salary and post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance). Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan and health insurance scheme. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include home leave, travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, education grant for dependent children, assignment grant and rental subsidy. For more information please see: https://careers.un.org/lbw/home.aspx?viewtype=SAL
Duration of contract
This is a full-time, fixed-term appointment. The initial appointment will be for one (1) year with the possibility of renewal on a fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance.
The mandatory age of retirement for United Nations staff is 65 years.
Expected starting date: July 2022